Sunday 25 August 2013

The Townhouses - "Nag Champa / The Oval" (self released)

"I was on the 79 tram in Richmond one afternoon. It's a line frequently occupied by some really beautiful old trams, however it's a pretty notoriously slow ride through all the traffic, so I busied myself in my phone whilst trying to pass the time. After almost a minute of being stuck in the same spot, I noticed that my phone had automatically connected to a local wifi network. I looked up and had realised that we were stalled just outside an ex-lover's apartment, a place where I'd spent a few really great months of my life before they'd moved out. I'd completely forgotten about these times, but my restored-from-backup iPhone had not, and probably never will." (Words from release page)

Amo i musicisti coraggiosi, che hanno la capacità di uscire dai suoni che gli hanno regalato soddisfazioni e magari una lieve notorietà. E l'australiano Leigh Hannah è uno di questi. Lo scorso anno accarezzò il mio udito e i miei sentimenti con il meraviglioso "Diaspora", a mio parere uno dei migliori album usciti nel 2012. In queste due nuove tracce Townhouses abbandona quasi tutta l'elettronica che caratterizzava le precedenti composizioni spostandosi verso territori pop-intimisti. "Nag Champa" è una stupenda pop-song che si adagia su un ritmo leggero e un cantato confidenziale, accompagnata da sinuose steel-drum che danno un tocco esotico all'insieme. Una nuove direzione annunciata sulla sua pagina Facebook che apprezzo pienamente. Due tracce che sono l'anticipazione di una cassetta (non ce le vogliamo proprio dimenticare!) che uscirà probabilmente nella primavera del 2014. In totale sono solo 5 minuti e 50 secondi brevi ma intensi.

Artist: The Townhouses
Title: Nag Champa / The Oval
Label: self released
Style: dreamy, pop
Date: August 20, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.